On 1st September 2010 Furze Infant School and Warren Junior School became a Hard Federation, two separate schools overseen by one Governing Body. This provided both schools with a greater level of resource in supporting the pupils.
The History of The Windmill Logo
Parents often ask us why we have Three Windmills on our school logo. The logo reflects an aspect of history from this area where it was discovered that there were three Post Mills near to each other in Chadwell Heath. These were located in the area now occupied by the junctions of Edward and Alexandra Roads with Mayfair Avenue, close to the eastern entrance to St Chad's Park.
According to Shawcross in 'A History of Dagenham' there was only one mill in 1770 but in early 1785 the copyhold estate comprised two 'newly erected substantial windmills'. Two windmills are shown on the first Ordinance Survey one inch map (1805) and three on Greenwood (1825).
The three mills were known as Long Sally, Little Jenny and Miss Bentley. Long Sally was the tall mill nearest to Mill House; it was struck by lightning some years before its demolition when one of the sails was set on fire. The mills remained active for some 80 years. Long Sally was demolished in 1893, Little Jenny in 1902 and Miss Bentley in 1906.
Where we are located:
Furze Infant School is situated in the northern part of the Borough. It serves those children living in the area to the south of the A12 and north of the British Rail line. Children normally transfer from the school to Warren Junior School which is about half a mile away. At present the school roll has spaces for 420 full-time, plus 104 part-time pupils in the Nursery. There are 15 Infant classes and a Nursery Unit. The children are grouped according to age on a mixed ability basis. There is also a Children’s Centre on site which is under separate management.